Who are we?
406 Squadron was first formed as No. 6 Flight Air Training Corps on the 19th November 1945, by the amalgation of No. 5 and No. 15 Squadrons. On the 4th of September 1947, 6 Flight was conferred to the Christian Brothers College.
On the 23rd of February 1950, the flight was disbanded at the Christian Brothers College, and was raised again on the 27th Feb. 1950 at Essendon Technical School. It continued to operate for another 6 years before it was again disbanded.
In 1971, 6 Flight was re-raised at Frankston High School, but soon after moved to the Artillery Drill Hall at Railway Parade in Frankston. When the 23rd Field Battery Regiment moved to it's new premises in Robinsons Road, Baxter, accomodation was made for the flight. No. 6 Flight was also the first flight to have a female Flight Commander - FLTLT(AIRTC) Ethne Rodgers.
406 Squadron is still at it's Robinsons Road site, and recently welcomed the fledgling 418SQN to boost it's numbers and to better serve the Mornington Peninsula area.